Deparment of Information Technology
Mission & Vision
The aim of the Information Technology programme is to equip students with a strong foundation in IT related fields. The programme focuses on satisfying the needs of users within an organizational and societal context through the selection, creation, application, integration and administration of computing technologies.
The programme, not only has been designed to provide a balanced education between the theoretical and practical concepts required for each module, it also focuses on the importance of team working and implements team-based projects for this purpose.
The educational objectives of the Information Technology programme.
The educational objectives of the IT programme are as follows:
- To prepare students for careers and/or graduate education (second cycle) in the IT field as it applies to software analysis and design, system development, web and multimedia applications, computer architecture, and computer networks.
- To provide a high quality education in state of the art in programming, system analysis and design, database development and administration, web and multimedia based design and development, and computer architecture, which incorporate open-ended design experiences and the use of hardware and software tools.
- To develop skills for effective verbal and written communication, and for participating effectively in the planning and execution of team-based projects, and to foster professional attitudes and awareness of the benefits of life-long learning.
- To provide a learning environment that is based on open interaction with experienced staff and a curriculum that follows the latest developments in IT field with strong analytical and critical thinking skills as well as practical knowledge compatible with business requirements.
The learning outcomes of the Information Technology programme
Each graduate of the programme will:
- Apply problem solving skills, core IT concepts, efficient practices and standards to Information Technologies;
- Identify and evaluate organizational requirements with the current and emerging technologies;
- Select, design, integrate and administer IT-based solutions within an organizational environment;
- Use strong analytical and critical thinking skills as well as practical knowledge within the field of IT;
- Be equipped with the theoretical background to pursue graduate level (second cycle) studies.
- Communicate effectively, both in writing and in speaking;
- Demonstrate the ability to participate effectively in the planning and execution of team-based projects;
- Describe the impact of IT solutions in a global, societal, and ethical context;
- Describe the need for continuous learning in order to achieve IT;
- Follow the latest developments within the field of IT;
- Use practical skills which is compatible with the business requirements;
- Be broadly educated.